Wednesday, February 8, 2017

WE'VE MADE IT!

We’ve made it! Our arrival was nerve-wracking, but also very exciting. As we arrived at Oaxaca’s bus station, we were all very anxious to meet our new parents. Surprisingly some of us were paired with the same parents; and for those pairs of students, they were very pleased to have each other. But because this defeats the purpose of living independently, plans were made immediately to separate the two as soon as another home becomes vacant.

Meeting our new families was just as exciting as visiting Disneyland. One by one we left the station. Driving off with our new parents. The drive to our new homes was our first real experiment with our new tongue. For many of us it was challenging and stressful. Many mistakes were said and our tongues were twisted. But we quickly learned that mistakes are common here and that our parents are there to help us improve.

I think I speak on behalf of the students when saying, my first night's conversation here in Oaxaca was the longest conversation I’ve had in Spanish. It’s true! Personally I learnt a lot from my first conversation  here in Oaxaca, and I hope the others did too.

I believe we all settled in well with our new families. They are kind, generous people who create a very soothing and welcoming environment. Just like home!

From all of us here in Oaxaca, México. Aroha nui ki a koutou katoa.

Na Aterea ngā kōrero nei. 

No comments:

Post a Comment